9/22/2006

Short Pianist

A man with a briefcase walks into a talent agent's office unannounced. "I have an act you have to see," he says to the agent.

"Well," the agent cautiously replies, "I do have a 15 minute window. Sure, show me what you can do."

Without a word, the man opens his briefcase. He carefully removes what appears to be a tiny grand piano from it. Placing it carefully on the agent's desk, he procedes to remove a tiny piano bench, and place it, equally carefully, in front of the piano. Suddenly, a tiny man, only one foot tall, stands up in the briefcase. He moves with a deliberate grace towards the piano, and seats himself. He begins to play Cole Porters, Begin the Beguine, displaying not only a technical mastery of the piano, but an artist's ability to communicate mirth through his fingertips. When he's through, he plays a medly of songs by Bach, Mozart, and Vivaldi. His performance is flawless, exquisite, ars gratia artis. The agent's jaw drops.

"This is Amazing!! Where did you find this talent?!", he asks.

"Well, that's a long story," the man begins. "I was in Ireland last year on vacation. Walking through a field, I stumbled across a leprechaun, and thinking quickly, I captured him. 'Let me go,' he said, 'and I'll grant you any wish.'"

"And so, you wished for this tiny musician," the agent said, "and now, you'll be rich, and famous! You'll travel the world, and stay in the best hotels for free! You'll meet Presidents, Prime Ministers, and Kings, and be treated like royalty everywhere you go! By God, that was quick thinking!"

"Well, no," the man confessed. "Actually, this particular leprechaun was hard of hearing. And, that's how I wound up with a 12 inch pianist."

No comments: